Related Topics: Anti Microbial Resistance, KARSAP
- Kerala, which launched a comprehensive action plan to tackle antimicrobial resistance (AMR) last year, is strengthening its AMR surveillance network in the State by roping in more laboratories in the private sector and private medical colleges in the State.
- At present, Kerala AMR Surveillance Network (KARSNET) includes the microbiology laboratories in eight Government Medical Colleges, General Hospital, Ernakulam, and the State Public Health Lab.
- By including some 16 NABH/NABL-accredited labs from the private sector, KARSNET is being expanded so that ground-level data on AMR pattern from across the State can be obtained.
National level surveillance networks
- At the national-level, there is an AMR surveillance network of the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) as well as the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
- NCDC monitors data across medical colleges and KARSNET is part of this network.
- ICMR has the AMR pattern from premier tertiary care institutions like the AIIMS, PGI Chandigarh etc.
Why strengthening KARSNET?
- AMR surveillance data is now restricted to tertiary care institutions alone, where most patients are very sick and the antibiogram pattern would be along the expected lines.
- To know the ground-level data on the resistance pattern from across the State, data from district hospitals and primary health centres are needed.
- Roping in local clinical labs in the private sector thus becomes crucial so that a true resistance profile can be built.
Training for Labs
- To train the labs in Standard Operating Procedures, the government has proposed that all KARSNET labs must go through a rigorous training programme.
- All labs in KARSNET will have to report routine clinical antimicrobial susceptibility to the network.
- This data will be collated to draw a picture of the true community-level burden of AMR in the State.
To know more about KARSAP: https://kas.talentacademy.co.in/2018/10/25/kerala-antimicrobial-resistance-strategic-action-plan-karsap/
[Source: The Hindu]