Related Topics: Environment & Biodiversity, Microchipping
Why in News
- The Veterinary College and Research Institute, Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu has embarked on creating a database of the Chippiparai by implanting microchips in 100 of these dogs.
- Microchipping is mandatory for dogs that are members of the Kennel Club of India (KCI) .
Why implanting microchips?
- Authorities have come across a lot of police complaints about missing dogs and claim over ownership.
- Now the microchip with unique identification number will help establish the ownership.
- Creating a database of blood for Indian breeds would go a long way in helping dogs that require blood.
About Chippiparai dogs
- The Chippiparai breed of dogs belongs to the Tamil Nadu region of South India.
- A few of them also reside in Kerala, around Periyar Lake.
- Chippiparai dogs are hunters; they are sight hounds who depend on their sense of sight and speed to spot, chase and kill the prey.
- It has gained distinction as a universal donor of canine blood.