Related Topics: Defence Sector, Joint Venture
Why in News
Astra Rafael Communication System (ARC), a joint venture (JV) between Astra Microwave and Israel-based Rafael Advanced Defence Systems Ltd has inaugurated a new state-of-the-art facility at Hardware Technology Park close to Hyderabad international airport.
News in Detail
- The Joint Venture of 51:49 per cent is in line with the Government’s “Make in India” initiative.
- The facility will make BNET software defined radios, the world’s most advanced battle communication system in use by Israeli’s defence forces and other advanced militaries around the world.
- The JV’s focus is on leveraging the technological ability and indigenous manufacturing capability, combined with Rafael’s technology expertise to support the requirements of the Indian Armed Forces.
- This green field venture envisages creation of significant direct and indirect employment opportunities, import substitution and foreign direct investments into the country.
- ARC would be India’s first private sector company to manufacture cutting-edge Software Defined Radios in multiple variants, at its facility spread across an area of over 20,000 sq ft.
- It will also be involved in the development and manufacture of a wide range of other advanced capabilities, with the aim of opening new export markets.
- The JV partners have invested nearly ₹ 35 crore.
[Source: The Hindu]