Related Topics: Digital India, National Monuments Authority
Why in News
Union Minister of State for Culture & Tourism (Independent Charge) has launched the NOC Online Application Portal and Processing System (NOAPS) for the National Monument Authority (NMA) in six states.
What is NOAPS?
- It is an initiative taken by the National Monument Authority for streamlining of approval procedure for construction related activities in regulated/restricted areas in the vicinity of Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) protected monuments in various cities of India.
- NOAPS was launched by the NMA in September 2015 but was limited to only five urban local bodies in Delhi and one civic body in Mumbai.
- Now, the facility has been expanded to six more states: Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab, Jharkhand and Telangana.
Who designed it?
- It has been designed by NIC and incorporates state of the art technology.
- The Portal has utilized the technology and expertise of Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), who are in the process of mapping all 3886 ASI protected monuments.
‘Smarac’ Mobile App
The portal has integration with the ‘Smarac’ mobile app of ISRO, through which the applicant can traverse his plot and submit geo coordinates of the land, along with uploading images into the NIC portal.
- With increase of urbanization, development, growth and increasing population pressure, there is growing pressure on land including the land around centrally protected monuments.
- This often affects the monument/site adversely.
- There is a need for properly regulating such growth around the centrally protected monuments, balancing the needs of individuals and growth and development on the one hand and the requirements of preservation and protection of these monuments on the other.
- By using the portal, property owners can calculate the geo-coordinates and can find out if it is possible to carry out any construction as permissible.
- It will greatly add to the convenience of the people since they no longer need to run to local offices to get NOC for their property which is nearby to monuments.
[Sources: PIB, Livemint]