Related Topics: Public Health, Government Schemes and Initiatives
- Prime Minister has launched a nation-wide Fit India Movement and urged people to become more aware of health and good life.
- The movement was launched on the National Sports Day (Aug 29), the birth anniversary of hockey legend Major Dhyanchand.
About the Movement
- It aims to encourage people to inculcate physical activity and sports in their everyday lives.
- It is a “people’s movement” for promoting fitness.
- Sports has a direct relation to fitness but ‘Fit India Movement’ aims to go beyond fitness.
- A healthy Individual, a healthy family and a healthy society are the essentials to make New India a Fit India.
Need for the Movement
- Success is related to fitness, success stories of icons from any field of life have a common thread — most of them are fit, have a focus on fitness and are fond of fitness.
- Fitness is not just a word but an essential pillar to a healthy and prosperous life.
- Technology had reduced people’s physical ability and robbed their daily fitness routines.
- Today lifestyle diseases are on the rise in India affecting even the young.
- Cases of diabetes and hypertension are on the rise and even common among children in India.
- But small lifestyle changes can prevent these lifestyle diseases.
- Fit India Movement is an effort to bring these small lifestyle changes.