Related Topics: Science & Technology, Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)
The Union Minister of Consumer Affairs has launched the National Laboratory Directory (NLD).
- It is an online directory, which provides information about Indian standards of various products and testing infrastructure in the country for the benefit of various stakeholders such as start-ups.
- It provides in detail what products can be tested against which standards — Indian or international.
- It is a one-stop-shop for all testing needs of the industries, academia, researchers and other stakeholders who need to get their Testing Facilities accredited / certified / recognised.
- The platform was created by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
- There are estimated 10,000 labs across the country.
- Currently, about 4,500 labs owned by public and private academic institutions are listed on the online directory.
[Source: The Hindu]