Related Topics: Sustainable Democracy, Election Commission of India (ECI)
- ECI is scheduled to host the 4th General Assembly of Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB) at Bengaluru.
- Over 120 Participants from more than 50 countries across the globe will join the AWEB events scheduled in Bengaluru from 02nd to 04th September, 2019.
What is A-WEB?
- It is the largest association of Election Management Bodies (EMBs) worldwide.
- It was established on October 14, 2013 in Song-do, South Korea.
- The permanent secretariat of A-WEB is located at Seoul.
- The vision of A-WEB is to foster efficiency and effectiveness in conducting free, fair, transparent and participative elections worldwide.
- It aims to achieve sustainable democracy around the world.
- Its activities are guided by its mission to identify latest trends, challenges and developments in democratic electoral management and electoral processes.
- It also facilitates appropriate exchange of experience and expertise among members with the objective of strengthening electoral democracy worldwide.
ECI and A-WEB
- Election Commission of India has been very closely associated with the process of formation of A-WEB since 2011-12.
- ECI has been its Executive Board Member since AWEB’s inception in October 2013 for two consecutive terms (2013-15 and 2015-17).
- At the last A-WEB General Assembly held in Bucharest on 31st August, 2017, Romania took over as Chair and ECI was unanimously elected as Vice-Chair of A-WEB 2017-19.
- India is all set to take over as Chair for the 2019-21 term.