Related Topics: Biometric Identity Card, Government Policies & Interventions
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) will soon issue a notification to announce changes in allotment of Aadhaar numbers to NRIs.
Aadhaar for NRIs
- UIDAI has said that its systems will be ready within three months to offer the facility of issuing Aadhaar cards to NRIs with Indian passports without the mandatory waiting period, as announced in the Budget.
- Currently, NRIs have to stay for at least 182 days in the last 12 months to be eligible to get an Aadhaar card.
Aadhaar Seva Kendras (ASKs)
- The UIDAI is setting up Aadhaar Seva Kendras — similar to the concept of Passport Seva Kendras — covering 53 cities across the country at an estimated project cost of ₹300-400 crore.
- These Aadhaar centres are meant to facilitate enrolment, updation and other activities.
- They are UIDAI’s own and will operate in addition to thousands of centres currently being run by banks and post offices, as well as in government premises (offering similar Aadhaar services).
- As ASKs have more capacity, more requests for enrolment and updation can be processed on a daily basis compared to other centres.
- The new ASK model entails an online appointment management system to allow people to book a slot as per their convenience.
- It is a statutory authority established under the provisions of the Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016 on 12 July 2016.
- Prior to its establishment as a statutory authority, UIDAI was functioning as an attached office of the then Planning Commission (now NITI Aayog) vide its Gazette Notification dated 28th January, 2009.
- It was created with the objective to issue Unique Identification numbers (UID), named as “Aadhaar“, to all residents of India that is robust enough to eliminate duplicate and fake identities, and can be verified and authenticated in an easy, cost-effective way.
- The agency has been mandated by the government to develop, identify and set up the necessary infrastructure for issuing Aadhaar cards.