Related Topics: Infrastructure Development, Multipurpose Irrigation Projects
Andhra Pradesh Cabinet has ratified the preclosure of the Polavaram Hydro Electric Project (PHEP) contract that was awarded to Navayuga Engineering Company Limited (NECL) for nearly Rs. 3217 crore and gave its nod for reverse tendering.
About the Project
- It is a multipurpose irrigation project across Godavari River in West Godavari district with its reservoirs spreading across states of Chhattisgarh and Orissa as well.
- The project endeavours to develop irrigation, drinking water facilities and hydropower to regions of East Godavari, Vishakhapatnam, Krishna and West Godavari districts of Andhra Pradesh.
- The project, which will interlink several rivers in Andhra Pradesh, is estimated to irrigate 75.38 lakh acres in the state.
- It will also help supply 7.32 thousand million cubic feet (TMC) of drinking water to Visakhapatnam city and another 16.12 TMC of water for industrial purposes.
- The project also aims to help the Rayalaseema region (comprising Anantapur, Chittoor, Kadapah and Kurnool districts out of the total 13 districts in the state) get more water.
[Source: The Hindu, Livemint]