Related Topics: Social Issues, Culture
- Acute malnutrition among Saharias, a Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Group (PVTG), due to crushing poverty, delayed breastfeeding, premature pregnancies and seasonal migrations is continuing to take away lives.
- Every second child under five in the Shivpuri and Sheopur districts of central India is underweight.
- According to the National Family Health Survey 2014-2015, just 2% of children under three were breastfed within the first hour of their birth in rural parts of Sheopur district.
- An Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) study revealed that, among Saharias, TB prevalence is an alarming 1,995 per 1, 00,000 persons.
Who are Sahariyas?
- The Saharia, Sahar, Sehariya, or Sahariya are an ethnic group in the state of Madhya Pradesh.
- The Saharias are mainly found in the districts of Morena, Sheopur, Bhind, Gwalior, Datia, Shivpuri, Vidisha and Guna districts of Madhya Pradesh and Baran district of Rajasthan.
- They are a particularly vulnerable tribal group.
Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs)
- PVTG (earlier Primitive Tribal Groups) was the category created within Scheduled Tribes on the recommendation of Dhebar commission.
- Presently there are 75 tribal groups categorized by Ministry of Home Affairs as Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTG).
- They reside in 18 States and UT of A&N Islands.