Related Topics: Government Schemes & Initiatives, Women Empowerment
In a major initiative to accelerate women entrepreneurship and secure gender parity, Kerala is planning to set up an International Women’s Trade Centre (iWTC) in Kozhikode.
- It is an initiative of the Kerala Gender Park under the Department of Social Justice, Kerala.
- It is envisaged as a safe space away from home for women to harness their entrepreneurial capabilities, set up or expand their businesses and get their products marketed globally.
- It will provide a platform to help women break the glass ceiling by overcoming social barriers and forge ahead as successful entrepreneurs.
- The first phase of iWTC, being executed under the Gender Park’s Vision 2020, is scheduled to be completed by 2021.
- iWTC would be designed as a world class shopping destination with a string of outlets catering to the needs of women entrepreneurs.
- It will be housed in an environment-friendly and resource- efficient
- The facility will have women’s start-up and incubation centre, retail fashion and technology outlets, health and wellness centres, business centres and offices, conference, convention and exhibition spaces, performing arts centre, residential suites and day care for seniors and children.
- It would also have a dedicated space to promote performing arts and cultural forms like dance, music and theatre.
- It will offer fully automated private and shared office spaces, virtual work spaces, common secretarial services, state-of-the-art communication facilities, and business guidance centres for setting up trade or business.
- It will enable women entrepreneurs to participate in international trade, enjoy greater economic benefits and enhance their competitiveness to tap market opportunities.
- Its special emphasis will be on hand-holding and bringing economically backward women, marginalized groups and women with disabilities and transgenders to the forefront by nurturing their entrepreneurial capabilities.
- In its piloting year, it will help flood-affected women and provide them with opportunities for livelihood and entrepreneurship.
In line with UNSDG
It is conceived in line with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) which seek to transform the world, building on the principle of ‘leaving no one behind’ and promote prosperity while protecting the planet.[Source: The Hindu]