Related Topics: Government Policies & Interventions, SWAYAM
Union Human Resource Development Minister has launched Leadership for Academicians Programme (LEAP) – 2019 and Annual Refresher Programme in Teaching (ARPIT) – 2019 under Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya National Mission on Teachers and Teaching (PMMMNMTT) in New Delhi.
Leadership for Academicians Programme (LEAP)
- It is a three weeks Flagship leadership development training programme (2 weeks domestic and one week foreign training) for second level academic functionaries in public funded higher education institutions (HEIs).
- The main objective is to prepare second tier academic heads who are potentially likely to assume leadership roles in the future.
- The programme aims to build higher managerial capabilities of existing higher education leaders and administrators and to draw fresh talent into the management of higher education systems.
- It is a national initiative, launched to design and deliver a structured scheme of leadership development for HEIs.
- The mandatory eligibility conditions are: minimum 8 years of experience as Professor; 3 years administrative experience; Impeccable Integrity; High academic standing preferably 30 publications in ‘SCOPUS’ indexed international journals or UGC approved journals; and age below 58 years.
- The implementation of LEAP Programme will be through 15 NIRF top ranked Indian Institutions.
- The foreign Universities identified for the training are also within the top 100 in the world global rankings.
Annual Refresher Programme in Teaching (ARPIT)
- Ministry of Human Resource Development has launched Annual Refresher Programme in Teaching (ARPIT) in November, 2018.
- It is a major and unique initiative of online professional development of 5 million higher education faculty using the MOOCs platform SWAYAM.
- For implementing ARPIT, discipline-specific National Resource Centres (NRCs) are identified which are tasked to prepare online training material with focus on latest developments in the discipline, new & emerging trends, pedagogical improvements and methodologies for transacting revised curriculum.
- For ARPIT 2019, 51 discipline specific NRCs have been notified covering 46 disciplines.
- The training materials have been uploaded and made available through SWAYAM to all the teachers from 1st September, 2019.
- Through ARPIT all in-service teachers, irrespective of their subject and seniority have been given an enabling opportunity to keep abreast of the latest developments in their disciplines through the technology based online refresher courses.
- Faculty can benefit from this initiative as it is highly flexible and can be done at one’s own pace and time.
- The NRCs will revolutionize professional development of faculty by catering to massive numbers by leveraging ICT and online technology platform of SWAYAM.