Related Topics: Governance, Education
Union HRD Minister has chaired the Special Meeting of the Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE) held in New Delhi.
What is CABE?
- It is the highest advisory body to advise the Central and State Governments in the field of education.
- It provides a forum for widespread consultation and examination of issues relating to educational and cultural development.
- To review the progress of education from time to time.
- To appraise the extent and manner in which the education policy has been implemented by the Central and State Governments, and other concerned agencies, and to give appropriate advice in the matter;
- To advice regarding coordination between the Central and State Governments/UT Administrations
- The committee has representatives of central organisation, universities, state and bodies including planning commission, NGOs and civic society.
- Union Minister of Human Resource Development is the Chairman of the board.
- The proposal for setting up a Central Advisory Board of Education was first put forward by the Calcutta University Commission (1917-19).
- It was first established in 1920 and dissolved in 1923 as a measure of economy.
- It was revived in 1935 and has been in existence ever since.