Related Topics: Government Schemes & Initiatives, Leather Sector Skill Council
Union Minister for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) has announced the launch of Mochi Swabhimaan Initiative.
About the Initiative
- It is a nationwide effort in which Leather Sector Skill Council (LSSC) will support the cobbler community who provide leather-based services, with CSR funds ensuring that they work in a dignified manner.
- The aim of the Initiative is to bring respect to their skills by giving them better working environment in the form of kiosks/umbrellas.
Leather Sector in India
- India accounts for about 13% of the world’s leather production.
- The leather and leather products industry contribute less than 1% to India’s GDP and Footwear industry contributes about 2% to India’s GDP.
- The sector employees over 2.5 million people and has potential to create 2 million jobs in the next 5 years.
- Government of India has allowed 100% foreign direct investment (FDI) in the sector and rationalized export duty on raw and semi-finished leather.
About Leather Sector Skill Council (LSSC)
- It is an NSDC approved non-profit organization dedicated to meet the demand for skilled workforce in the leather industry in India.
- It aims to facilitate a skilled ecosystem in the leather industry through capacity building for high productivity and compliance with global standards.
- Set up in 2012, LSSC works with a host of members from the industry, government organizations, the academia, the training partners and the assessment partners.