Related Topics: Government Schemes & Initiatives, Public Health
- Union Minister for Science & Technology, Earth Sciences and Health & Family Welfare has launched UMMID (Unique Methods of Management and treatment of Inherited Disorders) initiative.
- He also inaugurated NIDAN (National Inherited Diseases Administration) Kendras, which is being supported by Department of Biotechnology (DBT).
Department of Biotechnology (DBT) has designed the UMMID Initiative on the concept of ‘Prevention is better than Cure’.
- To establish NIDAN Kendras to provide counselling, prenatal testing and diagnosis, management, and multidisciplinary care in Government Hospitals wherein the influx of patients is more
- To produce skilled clinicians in Human Genetics
- To undertake screening of pregnant women and new born babies for inherited genetic diseases in hospitals at aspirational districts.
Need for the Initiative
- Congenital and hereditary genetic diseases are becoming a significant health burden in India.
- There is a need for adequate and effective genetic testing and counselling services in India.
- In India’s urban areas, congenital malformations and genetic disorders are the third most common cause of mortality in newborns.
- With a very large population and high birth rate, and marriage between closely related individuals favored in many communities, prevalence of genetic disorders is high in India.