Related Topics: Government Programs & Initiatives, Atal Innovation Mission (AIM)
On the 150th birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), NITI Aayog’s Atal Tinkering Labs (ATL) and UNICEF India, including Generation Unlimited, have launched ‘The Gandhian Challenge’.
About Gandhian Challenge
- It is an innovation challenge, which provides a platform for every child across India to ideate innovative solutions for a sustainable India of their dreams, using Gandhi’s principles.
- The contest is open for every child in India from 2 October to 20 October, 2019.
- It also celebrates 70 years of partnership between Government of India and UNICEF India to enable Every Right for Every Child.
- Through this partnership, AIM and UNICEF recognize every child’s ability and right to voice their dreams for a world of their choice, following Gandhi’s principles.
- The most innovative, sustainable solutions/ideas will be showcased as a symbol of a larger movement by children taking root in every district of India.
- Children across India can access to more than 8000 Atal Tinkering Labs across all districts to support their innovative ideas.
Atal Innovation Mission (AIM)
- It is the Government of India’s flagship initiative to promote a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship in the country.
- AIM’s objective is to develop new programmes and policies for fostering innovation in different sectors of the economy, provide platform and collaboration opportunities for different stakeholders, create awareness and create an umbrella structure to oversee innovation ecosystem of the country.
Six major initiatives of AIM
- Atal Tinkering Labs – Creating problem-solving mindset across schools in India.
- Atal Incubation Centers – Fostering world class start-ups and adding a new dimension to the incubator model.
- Atal New India Challenges – Fostering product innovations and aligning them to the needs of various sectors/ministries.
- Mentor India Campaign – A national Mentor network in collaboration with public sector, corporates and institutions, to support all the initiatives of the mission.
- Atal Community Innovation Center – To stimulate community centric innovation and ideas in the unserved /underserved regions of the country including Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities.
- ARISE – To stimulate innovation and research in the MSME industry.
Atal Tinkering Labs (ATL)
In ATLs, students of class 6th to 12th acquire a problem-solving attitude; develop innovative solutions leveraging technologies like 3D printers, robotics, miniaturised electronics, IOT and programming and DIY kits, with support from teachers and mentors.