Related Topics: Defence Sector, Welfare Schemes
- Raksha Mantri Rajnath Singh has given in principle approval to enhancement of monetary assistance to Next of Kin (NoK) of all categories of Battle Casualty (BC) from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 8 lakh.
- The amount will be granted under Army Battle Casualties Welfare Fund (ABCWF).
Earlier Financial Assistance
- Earlier, there was a provision of financial assistance of Rs 2 lakh to the Battle casualties which are fatal, 60 per cent & above disability, battle casualties invalided out due to disability and Rs 1 lakh to disability less than 60 per cent.
- It was in addition to liberalised family pension, financial assistance from Army Group Insurance, Army Welfare Fund and ex-gratia amount.
About Army Battle Casualties Welfare Fund (ABCWF)
- It has been set up under Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare (ESW), Ministry of Defence after a large number of people offered to provide monetary assistance to the families of battle casualties following an incident in February 2016 at Siachen, wherein 10 soldiers were buried in an avalanche.
- It was instituted in July 2017 and was implemented retrospectively with effect from April 2016.
- The fund was created under the Charitable Endowments Act, 1890.
- This fund is in addition to the various existing schemes for the welfare of NoK and children of battle casualties in form of additional ex gratia.