Related Topics: Livestock Sector, Census & Reports
- Department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying has released the 20th Livestock Census report.
Snapshot of the Survey
Key Highlights of the Survey
Total Livestock Population
- The total Livestock population is 535.8 million in the country showing an increase of 4.6% over Livestock Census-2012
- While cattle accounted for 35.94 per cent of total livestock in the country, goats accounted for 27.80 per cent, buffaloes: 20.45 per cent, sheep: 13.87 per cent and pigs: 1.69 per cent.
Total Bovine Population
Total Bovine population (Cattle, Buffalo, Mithun and Yak) is 302.79 Million in 2019 which shows an increase of about 1% over the previous census.
- The number of female cattle is 145.2 million, which is 18 per cent increase over the 122.98 million in 2012.
- The number of male cattle, on the other hand, dropped to 47.4 million as against 67.92 million in 2012.
- The male to female cattle ratio in the 2019 survey dropped to 1:3 from 1:1.8 in the 2012 livestock survey.
- There is a 6 per cent decline in the total number of indigenous cattle over the previous census.
- On the contrary, the population of total exotic/crossbred cattle has increased by 26.9 per cent in 2019 as compared to previous census.
- There is a spectacular 16.8 per cent increase in the poultry population in the country to 851.81 million, mainly on account of a 46 per cent rise in backyard poultry birds, whose numbers have gone up to 317 million.
- The total Commercial Poultry in the country is 537.74 million in 2019, increased by 4.5% over previous Census.
The total buffaloes in the country is 109.85 million showing an increase of about 1.0% over previous Census.
The total milch animals (in-milk and dry) in cows and buffaloes is 125.34 million, showing an increase of 6.0 % over the previous census.
Sheep & Goat
- The Sheep population in the country is 74.26 million in 2019, increased by 14.1% over previous Census.
- The Goat population in the country in 2019 is 148.88 million showing an increase of 10.1% over the previous census.
The total Pigs in the country is 9.06 Million in the current Census, declined by 12.03% over the previous Census.
Uttar Pradesh has the highest number of livestock of 67.8 million (68.7 million in 2012), followed by Rajasthan 56.8 million (57.7 million), Madhya Pradesh: 40.6 million (36.3 million) and West Bengal: 37.4 million (30.3 million).
Collection of data through Tablets
- The major thrust given to 20th Livestock Census is the collection of data through tablets.
- The 20th livestock census is indeed a unique attempt as for the first time such a major initiative has been taken to digitize household level data through online transmission from the field.
- A mobile application software was developed by National Informatics Centre (NIC) for collecting transferring the data online.
- It was used for data collection as well as online transmission of data from the field to the NIC server.
- The Census will prove beneficial not just for policy makers but also for agriculturists, traders, entrepreneurs, dairying industry and masses in general.
- It also provides some key results reflecting the aggregate counts of various species as well as its comparison with previous census.
- The initiatives on collection of breed-wise reliable information of various species will give vital information for determination of threatened indigenous breeds and to take initiatives for their conservation.
[Source: PIB, The Hindu]