Related Topics: Government Schemes, Public Health, Universal Health Coverage
Why in News?
- Central government’s flagship programme, the Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY) crossed the milestone of 50 lakh mark.
News in Detail
- Under the Ayushman Bharat scheme, free secondary and tertiary treatment worth ₹7,901 crore has been availed in the 32 states and UTs.
- There are nine hospital admissions every minute across India under the scheme.
- As per the National Health Authority (NHA) data, more than 60 per cent of the amount spent has been on tertiary care.
- Segments like cardiology, orthopaedics, radiation, oncology, cardiothoracic and vascular surgery, and urology have emerged as the top tertiary specialities.
- Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Chhattisgarh, Kerala and Andhra Pradesh have emerged as the top-performing states under the scheme.
Ayushman Bharat Scheme
It is an umbrella of two major health initiatives, namely Health and Wellness Centres and National Health Protection Scheme.
(i) Health and Wellness Centres
- Under this 5 lakh existing sub centres will bring health care system closer to the homes of people in the form of Health and Wellness centres.
- These centres will provide comprehensive health care, including for non-communicable diseases and maternal and child health services.
(ii) National Health Protection Scheme (AB-PMJAY)
- It is the Central Government’s health insurance scheme that aims to give medical cover to over 10 crore poor and vulnerable families of approximately 50 crore beneficiaries.
- The scheme was launched on 25 September, 2018.
- It provides coverage of up to ₹5 lakh per family per year for secondary and tertiary care hospitalisation.
- There is no restriction on the basis of family size, age or gender.
- Ayushman Bharat is different from other medical insurance schemes where there is a waiting period for pre-existing diseases.
- All kinds of diseases are covered from day one of the Ayushman Bharat policy.
- The benefit cover includes both pre and post hospitalization expenses.
- The scheme created a cadre of certified frontline health service professionals called Pradhan Mantri Aarogya Mitras (PMAMs) who will be primary point of facilitation for the beneficiaries to avail treatment at the hospital.
- So far, 16,000 hospitals have been empanelled, nearly 34 lakh beneficiaries have been admitted, and 9 crore e-cards have been issued.
- PMJAY is a visionary step towards advancing the agenda of Universal Health Coverage (UHC).