Related Topics: International Relations, HADR exercise
With the recent improvement in relations, India and the Maldives will take forward several pending measures to promote defence cooperation in the next few months.
Lease of Dornier aircraft
- The agreement for lease of a Dornier aircraft for maritime surveillance is being finalised.
- India had sent a Letter of Exchange for a two-year lease of the Dornier at the request of Male a few years ago.
- But the deal was not finalised by the Maldives owing to the friction in the relationship.
India’s Coastal Radar Chain Network
- Work on the radar stations to plug the Maldives into India’s coastal radar chain is progressing fast.
- In the aftermath of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, India began setting up the coastal radar chain network to monitor the movement of traffic on the high seas.
- Mauritius, Seychelles and Sri Lanka have already been part of the network.
- Terrorism is a major threat to the Maldives, and maritime security is the top-most concern.
Broad-based Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) exercise
- A proposal for a joint humanitarian assistance and disaster relief (HADR) exercise is in the works.
- The aim is to draft all agencies of both countries involved in the area.
- In the recent past, the Indian Navy has become the first responder to calls for help from countries affected by natural disasters in the Indian Ocean Region.
- The exercise is especially important owing to the increase in natural disasters in the region.
- The India – Myanmar bilateral relationship went on a downward trajectory since the Maldives started moving closer to China under the earlier regime of President Abdulla Yameen.
- However, the relations have normalised after President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih took over in 2018.