Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Science and Technology [Paper-II]: Nature and scope of Science and Technology, National policy on S&T and Innovations, Institutes and Organization in India promoting intergration of S&T and Innovation, their activities and contributions
- PM Modi will inaugurate the Fifth India International Science Festival on November 5, 2019.
- The four-day science festival is being organized in Kolkata from November 5 to November 8, 2019.
- India International Science Festival (IISF) is an annual event organised jointly by Science and Technology related Ministries and Departments of the Government of India and Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA).
- The prime objective of the festival is to instill scientific temper among the masses, showcase India’s contribution in the field of S&T over the years and encourage translation of its benefits to people.
- It aims to build a strategy for inclusive advancement of Science and Technology.
- The theme for IISF 2019 is ‘RISEN India – Research, Innovation, and Science Empowering the Nation’.
- Vigyan Prasar, an autonomous organisation of the Department of Science and Technology is the nodal agency to coordinate the IISF 2019.
- For school students, a Students Science Village has been planned at IISF-2019 where more than 2,500 school students from all over the nation have been invited.
- Under the Pradhan Mantri Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana, every Member of Parliament has been asked to nominate five students each along with their teacher from their constituency for the village.
- Young Scientists’ Conference has also been planned, where 1,500 young scientists and researchers will interact with various subject matter experts of international repute.
- A vast exhibition of India’s Scientific & Technological prowess will be on display through several expos – most prominent being the Science Expo at Science City.
- Vigyanika Science Literature Festival will be one of the major highlight of this year’s IISF.
- The programme ‘Women Scientists & Entrepreneurs Conclave’ aspires to develop new entrepreneurship and explore new vistas of opportunities in the field of science and technology among women.
About Vigyan Prasar
- It is an autonomous organisation of the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.
- It was set up in 1989 to take on large-scale science and technology popularisation programmes.
- Its mandate is to promote and propagate scientific and rational outlook in society.