Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Economy [Paper-II]: Industrial Policy, foreign investment and competition policy, Foreign Trade
Science and Technology [Paper-II]: ICT and Governance – various Government schemes promoting use of ICT, e-Governance Programmes and Services
Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs unveiled two new IT initiatives named ‘ICEDASH’ and ‘ATITHI’ for improved monitoring and pace of Customs clearance of imported goods and facilitating arriving international passengers by electronic filing of Customs baggage and currency declarations.
- It is an Ease of Doing Business (EoDB) monitoring dashboard of the Indian Customs helping the public to see the daily Customs clearance times of import cargo at various ports and airports.
- With ICEDASH, Indian Customs has taken a lead globally to provide an effective tool that helps the businesses to compare clearance times across ports and plan their logistics accordingly.
- This dashboard has been developed by Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) in collaboration with NIC and it can be accessed through the CBIC website.
- ATITHI is an easy to use mobile app introduced by CBIC for international travellers to file the Customs declaration in advance.
- Passengers can use this app to file declaration of dutiable items and currency with the Indian Customs even before boarding the flight to India.
- It would create a tech savvy image of Indian Customs and would encourage tourism and business travel to India.
- The app will facilitate hassle free and faster clearance by Customs at the airports and enhance the experience of international tourists and other visitors at Indian airports.