Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Environment [Paper-II]: Policies and treaties for the protection of environment at the National and the International level, Pollution
Information and Communications Technology (ICT) [Paper-II]: ICT and Governance – various Government schemes promoting use of ICT, e-Governance Programmes and Services
National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI) along with the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has launched India’s first web repository named IndAIR documenting air quality studies done in the last 60 years.
- The aim of the project is to make air quality research available to everyone.
- IndAIR has archived approximately 700 scanned documents from pre-Internet times (1950-1999), 1,215 research articles, 170 reports and case studies, 100 cases and over 2,000 statutes to provide the history of air pollution research and legislation in the country.
- This includes all major legislation in the country dating back to 1905.
- The repository will be the first comprehensive effort to inventorise surviving Indian research and analysis on air pollution, its causes and effects and present these studies in an easily accessible web format for the media, researchers and academics.
- Though air pollution is one of the most widely deliberated issues, little is known about it in India as far as the statistics or the history is concerned.
- IndAIR was initiated with the intent to document important milestones in the country and make them available to the public.
- The repository will help the academicians understand the issues better and also enable policy makers to frame legislation that encourages development.