Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Geography [Paper-I]: Physical, Social, Economic Geography of World, India and Kerala
Why in News?
- Survey of India has redrawn the map of India to depict the newly formed Union Territories (UT) of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) and Ladakh.
News in Detail
- UT of Ladakh consists of two districts of Kargil and Leh while the rest of the erstwhile state of Jammu and Kashmir is in the UT of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Out of these, Kargil district was carved out from the area of Leh and Ladakh district.
- Areas such as Gilgit, Gilgit Wazarat, Chilhas and the Tribal Territory of 1947 that have been occupied by Pakistan are included in the Ladakh UT.
- Other areas in Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK) such as Mirpur and Muzaffarabad have been included in the J&K UT.
About Survey of India
- It is the National Survey and Mapping Organization of the country under the Department of Science & Technology.
- It is the oldest scientific department of the Govt. of India.
- It was set up in 1767 and has evolved rich traditions over the years.
- It bears a special responsibility to ensure that the country’s domain is explored and mapped suitably, provide base maps for expeditious and integrated development and ensure that all resources contribute with their full measure to the progress, prosperity and security of our country now and for generations to come.
- It is headquartered at Dehradun.
New Political Map of India
[Source: The Hindu, PIB]