Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Science and Technology [Paper-II]: Nature and scope of Science and Technology, Institutes and Organization in India promoting intergration of S&T and Innovation, their activities and contributions
- The robotic surgery facility in the Safdarjung Hospital (SJH), New Delhi was dedicated to the nation by the Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare.
- It is also the first Central Government hospital in India to start this latest Robot Surgery facility for all poor patients for free.
What is Robotic Surgery?
- Robotic surgery is a type of surgical procedure that is done using robotic systems.
- Robotically-assisted surgery was developed to overcome the limitations of pre-existing minimally-invasive surgical procedures and to enhance the capabilities of surgeons performing open surgery.
- Robotic surgery has the advantage of providing minimally invasive surgery, reducing significantly the morbidity & mortality of critically ill, cancer and kidney failure patients.
- The Robotic system provides 7 degrees of freedom, 3-D vision, 10 times magnification and better dissection with more precision.
- The operating time also decreases resulting in improvement in turnover of patients and decrease in waiting list of patients for surgery significantly.