Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Science and Technology [Paper-II]: Public Health and Community Medicine, Health Care
Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare launched Social Awareness and Action to Neutralise Pneumonia Successfully (SAANS) campaign.
About SAANS Campaign
- It is aimed at reducing child mortality due to pneumonia, which contributes to around 15% deaths annually of children under the age of five.
- It was launched to mobilise people to protect children from pneumonia, and train health personnel and other stakeholders to provide prioritised treatment to control the disease.
- Under the campaign, a child suffering from pneumonia will be treated with pre-referral dose of anti-biotic amoxicillin by ASHA workers.
- Health and wellness centres will use pulse Oximeter (device to monitor oxygen saturation) to identify low oxygen levels in the blood of a child, and if required, he will be treated by use of oxygen cylinders.
- A Mass awareness campaign will be launched about the most effective solutions for pneumonia prevention like breast feeding, age appropriate complementary feeding, immunization, good quality air etc.
Pneumonia in India
- As per Health Management Information System (HMIS) data, under-five mortality rate in the country is 37 per 1000 live births, of which 5.3 deaths are caused due to pneumonia.
- The HMIS data ranked Gujarat second in the number of child deaths due to pneumonia, after Madhya Pradesh.