Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Economy [Paper-II]: Unemployment – trends, Structure and National Rural Employment policies
- Jammu and Kashmir administration is working on effective implementation of Himayat Mission.
- Under this, 42 projects have been sanctioned for training and placement target of 68,134 youths.
What is Himayat?
- It is a placement linked skill training programme for unemployed youth of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The programme has been developed and initiated by the Union Ministry of Rural Development.
- It is implemented by Jammu & Kashmir Entrepreneurship Development Institute (JKEDI) with Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDI) Ahmedabad, as coordinating /monitoring agency.
- It is an outcome of the recommendations of Dr. C. Rangarajan Committee report submitted on February 2011 which suggested a scheme of Skill Development for school/college dropouts.
- The project aims to generate sustainable livelihood opportunities through self employment for the youth of Jammu and Kashmir by the crosscutting approaches of holistic entrepreneurship development programs.
- The focus is on youth from low-income families and school dropouts.
- A minimum qualification of having passed the eighth grade is necessary. The scheme is completely free and open to all 18 to 35 year olds, who meet the minimum qualification.
- They are provided free skill training for a duration ranging from 3 to 12 months.
- They will be trained in a range of skills with the provision to provide placement to every trained candidate.
[Source: All India Radio, niti.gov.in]