Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Public Health [Paper-II]: Public Health and Community Medicine, Food and Nutrition, Health Care
Union Cabinet chaired by PM Modi approved the establishment of the National Institute for Sowa-Rigpa (NISR) in Leh as an autonomous organization under the Ministry of AYUSH.
What is Sowa-Rigpa?
- It is commonly known as Tibetan system of medicine.
- It is one of the oldest, living and well documented medical traditions of the world.
- It has been originated from Tibet and popularly practiced in India, Nepal, Bhutan, Mongolia and Russia. It is a traditional Medical system of the Himalayan belt in India.
- The majority of theory and practice of Sowa-Rigpa is similar to “Ayurveda”.
- Yuthog Yonten Gonpo from Tibet is believed to be the father of Sowa Rigpa.
- It is an apex Institute for Sowa-Rigpa with aim of bringing a valid and useful synergy between Traditional Wisdom of Sowa-Rigpa and modern science, tools and technology.
- It will be an autonomous National Institute with the mandate to undertake interdisciplinary education and research programmes in Sowa-Rigpa in collaboration with premier national and international Institutes and facilitate integration of different systems of medicine.
- It will help to promote interdisciplinary research & education of Sowa-Rigpa.
- It will provide standardized Sowa-Rigpa based tertiary health delivery.
- The setting up of the NISR would provide a momentum for the revival of Sowa-Rigpa in the Indian Sub-continent.
[Source: PIB, Vikaspedia]