Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Indian Constitution [Paper-I]: Indian Constitution and its salient features
Constitution Day, also known as ‘Samvidhan Divas‘, is celebrated in India on 26th November every year to commemorate the adoption of the Constitution of India.
70th Constitution Day
- Constitution Day was first celebrated in 2015 as a mark of tribute to India’s first law minister Bhim Rao Ambedkar, who played a pivotal role in the drafting of the Constitution.
- On 26th November 1949, the Constituent Assembly of India adopted the Constitution of India, which came into effect from 26th January 1950.November 26 was earlier celebrated as Law Day.
- Jammu and Kashmir celebrated the 70th anniversary of the adoption of the Constitution of India on November 26 for the first time since the abrogation of Article 370.
About Constitution of India
- Constitution of India was framed by a Constituent Assembly set up under the Cabinet Mission Plan of 1946.
- The Constitution of India was not typeset or printed but was handwritten and calligraphic in both English and Hindi.
- It was entirely handcrafted by the artists of Shantiniketan under the guidance of Acharya Nandalal Bose, with the calligraphy texts done by Prem Behari Narain Raizada in Delhi.
- The original copies of the Constitution of India are kept in special helium-filled cases in the Library of the Parliament of India.
- It is the longest written constitution of any independent country in the world.
- At present, Constitution of India contains 448 articles in 25 parts and 12 schedules. It had 395 articles in 22 parts and 8 schedules at the time of commencement.
[Source: PIB, doj.gov]