Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Science and Technology [Paper-II]: Institutes and Organization in India promoting intergration of S&T
and Innovation, their activities and contributions
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) launched the India chapter of its new initiative, Accelerator Labs.
India Accelarator Lab
- India chapter of the Accelerator Labs is an innovative new initiative by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Germany and Qatar, to find 21st century solutions to today’s complex new challenges.
- The project was launched in collaboration with the government’s Atal Innovation Mission and will look to solve issues through innovative solutions.
- The vision of the project is to make faster progress in meeting the ambitious Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the U.N. by 2030.
- It seeks to address some of the most pressing issues facing India, including air pollution, through innovation.
- It will also seek to address sustainable water management and client-resilient livelihoods.
- India’s Accelerator Lab will be part of a network of 60 global labs that will test and scale new solutions to global challenges like climate change and inequality.
- In addition to partnerships with Germany and Qatar, UNDP has also created partnerships with Italy’s Ministry of Environment, Land and Sea Protection, Nesta, MIT and the India-based Honeybee Network.
- The partnership with the Honeybee Network is aimed at developing innovative solutions from the grassroots, for the grassroots.
[Source: The Hindu, undp.org]