Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Environment [Paper-II]: Issues and concerns related to environment, its legal aspects, policies and treaties for the protection of environment at the National and the International level
December 2 is observed annually as National Pollution Prevention Day every year in India.
Why it is observed on December 2?
- The day is observed in the memory of people who lost their lives in Bhopal gas tragedy
- Bhopal gas tragedy occurred in the year 1984 on the night of 2–3 December
- Many people died due to poisonous gas Methyl Isocyanate (MIC)
- Bhopal Gas Tragedy is considered as one of biggest industrial pollution disasters
Objectives of the day
- To spread awareness on managing and controlling industrial disasters
- To prevent the pollution produced by industrial processes or human negligence
- To make people and industries aware about the importance of pollution control acts
[Source: India Today, gcpcenvis.nic.in]