Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Environment [Paper-II]: Policies and treaties for the protection of environment at the National and the International level, Biodiversity – its importance and concerns
- First pan India operation to crackdown on the smuggling of mongoose hair was carried out recently in U.P, Rajasthan, Maharashtra and Kerala.
- It was a planned raid, not to apprehend criminals, but to check on organised factories that were making paint brushes with mongoose hair.
- Brushes made of mongoose hair are preferred in the industry because they are superior and hold colour better.
Operation Clean Art
- It was the first pan India operation to crackdown on the smuggling of mongoose hair in the country.
- It was conceived by Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) with the singular aim of ensuring that the mongoose hair brush trade should be closed down across the country.
- The entire operation across the country yielded 54,352 brushes and 113 kg of raw hair.
- About 49 arrests were made and 27 cases were registered under the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
[Source: The Hindu]