Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Indian Constitution, Governance [Paper-I]: Constitutional Authorities – Powers, Functions and Responsibilities, Public Policy and Governance
- Election Commission of India has reviewed the system and process of registration of political parties.
- The new guidelines will be effective from 1st January, 2020.
- Accordingly, Election Commission has decided to implement Political Parties Registration Tracking Management System (PPRTMS).
- It will be implemented through an online portal, to facilitate tracking of status of application by applicants.
- The applicant who is applying for party registration from January 1, 2020 onwards will be able to track the progress of his or her application and will get status through SMS and email.
- The applicant is required to provide contact mobile number and email address of the party / applicant in his application if he/she wishes to track the progress of the application.
Registration of Political Parties
- It is governed by the provisions of section 29A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951.
- A party seeking registration has to submit an application to the Commission within a period of 30 days following the date of its formation in prescribed format with basic particulars about the party.