Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Science and Technology [Paper-II]: Public Health, Health Care
- A typhoid vaccine (Typbar TCV) has shown 81.6% efficacy in preventing typhoid fever at 12 months in a Phase-III clinical trial.
- The trial was carried out in Nepal in over 10,000 children who received the vaccine.
Typbar TCV Vaccine
- It is a typhoid vaccine developed by the Hyderabad-based Bharat Biotech.
- The vaccine was recommended by WHO’s Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunization (WHO-SAGE) in December 2017. WHO prequalified the vaccine in January 2018.
- The Typbar TCV typhoid vaccine tested in Nepal is a conjugate vaccine.
- Conjugate vaccine is one in which the antigen (which is a polysaccharide in this case) is chemically linked to a carrier protein.
- A single dose of the vaccine was found to be effective in preventing typhoid in children aged nine months to 16 years.
- The results of the trial were published in The New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM).
[Source: The Hindu]