Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Economy [Paper-II]: Trends and Patterns in structure of population over time, Unemployment – trends, Structure and National Rural Employment policies
India Skills Report 2020 was released recently.
About the Report
- India Skills Report is a joint initiative of Wheebox, a Global Talent Assessment Company, PeopleStrong, a leading HR Tech Company and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
- It is supported and backed by renowned partners like United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- The report assessed 300,000 candidates from 35 educational institutes across states and Union Territories, who appeared for the test.
- About 46.21 percent students were found employable or ready to take up jobs in 2019, compared with 33 percent in 2014, and 47.38 percent in 2018.
- Maharashtra topped the list of states with the highest employable talent, followed by Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh while Mumbai, Hyderabad and Pune stood out as the most employable cities.
- Female employability witnessed an upward trend at 47 percent this year from 38 percent in 2017 and 46 percent in 2018.
- The most employable candidates as per the courses were MBA Students at 54 per cent as against 40 per cent in the last two years.
- B Pharm, Polytechnic, B Com and BA courses, on the other hand, saw an improvement in employability which is increased by more than 15 per cent.
- A decline in employability was seen in BTech, other engineering streams, MCA, technical and computer-related courses.
- Male and female participants underwent a role reversal in terms of employability scores (from 48% and 46% respectively in 2018 to 46% and 47% respectively in 2019.
- On the basis of the four skills that were assessed for the participating students from the states, Telangana aced the chart for availability of business communication, numerical skills and critical thinking ability.