Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
International Relations [Paper-II]: International Treaties and Forums, their structure and mandate
- Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) hosted the 6th Indian Ocean Dialogue and Delhi Dialogue XI at the Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra in New Delhi from from December 13-14, 2019.
- For the first time, these two dialogues were held consecutively and on similar Indo-Pacific themes.
Indian Ocean Dialogue (IOD)
- It is a flagship initiative of the Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA), with its origins in the 13th Council of Ministers meeting, held in November 2013 in Perth, Australia.
- The first IOD was held in Kerala, India in 2014.
- IOD is IORA’s premier 1.5 track forum for dialogue between academia and officials on strategic issues of interest and concerns facing the Association.
- During the summit, member states held high-level discussions on the Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) role within the Indo-Pacific.
- The theme for 6th Indian Ocean Dialogue is “Indo-Pacific: Re-imagining the Indian Ocean through an Expanded Geography”.
- The summit was preceded by the 25th Indian Ocean Rim Academic Group (IORAG) on December 12, 2019.
- Delhi Dialogue is a premier annual track 1.5 event to discuss politico-security, economic and socio-cultural engagement between India and ASEAN.
- It has been held annually since 2009 and is aimed at finding a common ground and expanding the scope of cooperation between India and ASEAN nations.
Delhi Dialogue XI
- The theme for Delhi Dialogue XI is “Advancing Partnership in Indo-Pacific”.
- It is being organized with assistance of Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS), a New Delhi–based autonomous policy research.
[Source: All India Radio, iora.int]