Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Environment [Paper-II]: Policies and treaties for the protection of environment at the National and the International level, Pollution
Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired the first meeting of the National Ganga Council in Kanpur.
- The first meeting of the Council was aimed at reinforcing the importance of a ‘Ganga-centric’ approach in all departments of the concerned states as well as relevant Central Ministries.
- Prime Minister urged for a holistic thinking process where ‘Namami Gange’ evolves to ‘Arth Ganga’ or a sustainable development model with a focus on economic activities related to Ganga.
- Priority should be given to women Self Help Groups and ex-servicemen organizations for these programs. Such practices, along with creation of infrastructure for water sports and development of camp sites, cycling and walking tracks etc, would help to tap the ‘hybrid’ tourism potential of the river basin area- for purposes of religious as well as adventure tourism.
- The income generated from encouraging eco-tourism and Ganga wildlife conservation and cruise tourism etc. would help to generate sustainable income streams for cleaning of Ganga.
- Digital Dashboard will be set up where data from villages and urban bodies should be monitored on a daily basis by NITI Aayog and Ministry of Jal Shakti.
About National Ganga Council
- The council was constituted in 2016 to oversee the cleaning of the Ganga and is supposed to meet at least once a year.
- It is chaired by Prime Minister.
- It is also known as the National Council for Rejuvenation, Protection, and Management of River Ganga. It replaced the National River Ganga Basin Authority (NRGBA).
- The Council has been given overall responsibility for superintendence of pollution prevention and rejuvenation of River Ganga Basin, including Ganga and its tributaries.
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) is the implementation arm of the National Ganga Council.
[Source: The Hindu, PIB]