Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
International Relations [Paper-II]: International Organisations, International Treaties and Forums, their structure and mandate
International Olympic Committee (IOC) chief Thomas Bach has thanked President Ram Nath Kovind for co-sponsoring the United Nation Olympic Truce Resolution.
About the Resolution
- The United Nations’ General Assembly passed a resolution urging nations around the world to honor an “Olympic Truce” during the upcoming 2020 games in Tokyo, Japan.
- The resolution entitled “Building a peaceful and better world through sport and the Olympic ideal” was adopted on December 9, 2019.
- The truce calls for participants to cease all hostilities for a period stretching from one week prior to the Olympics, which begin on July 24, 2020 until one week after the Paralympic Games, which end on September 6, 2020.
- The resolution was based on the ancient Greek tradition of “ekecheiria,” a practice dating back to antiquity that was meant to ensure peaceful proceedings and safe passage during Olympic competition.
- The UN General Assembly restored the tradition in 1993 and has passed similar resolutions ahead of every Olympic cycle since that year.
[Source: Business Standard, olympic.org]