Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Economy [Paper-II]: Infrastructure in Indian Economy, Railways
Union Cabinet chaired by PM Modi has approved a transformational organisational restructuring of the Indian Railways.
- Unification of the existing eight Group A services of the Railways into a Central Service called Indian Railway Management Service (IRMS).
- The creation of the IRMS will be done in consultation with the Department of Personnel and Training and Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) to facilitate recruitment.
- All the remaining posts of the Railway Board shall be open to all officers regardless of the service to which they belong, thus ensuring equal opportunity for all.
- Re-organisation of Railway Board on functional lines headed by CRB with four Members and some Independent Members
- The existing service of Indian Railway Medical Service (IRMS) to be consequently renamed as Indian Railway Health Service (IRHS)
- The Railway Board—the apex decision making body of the Indian Railways—will be headed by a chairman, who will be the chief executive officer (CEO). There will be four other members, in charge of infrastructure, rolling stock, finance and operations, and business development.
- The unification of services will end “departmentalism”, promote smooth working of railways, expedite decisionmaking, create a coherent vision for organisation and promote rational decision making.
- Departmentalism in Indian Railways has been marked by inefficiency and fighting over control of assets and resources, leading to delays in decisionmaking.