Related Topic in KAS Prelims Syllabus:
Science and Technology [Paper-II]:
- PM Modi inaugurated the 107th Indian Science Congress (ISC) at University of Agricultural Sciences, Bengaluru.
- Indian Science Congress is organised by the Indian Science Congress Association every year in the first week of January.
- PM also launched the I-STEM Portal on the occasion.
Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA)
- It is a premier scientific organisation of India with headquarters at Kolkata, West Bengal.
- ISCA owes its origin to the foresight and initiative of two Chemists, namely, Professor J. L. Simonsen and Professor P.S. MacMahon.
107th Indian Science Congress (ISC)
- 107th ISC is being held from January 3 to 7, 2020.
- The major events of ISC are the Science Communicators Meet, Children Science Congress, Science Exhibition and Women’s Science Congress.
- The theme of the 2020 meet is ‘Science and Technology: Rural Development’. It will also be hosting a Farmer’s Science Congress for the very first time.
- The Congress is a major focal point for scientists, researchers and academicians interested in various aspects of science discoveries and technologies.
- The five-day long event aims to bring together science fraternity across the world to discuss scientific innovation and research.
Indian Scientific, Technology and Engineering facilities Map (I-STEM) Portal
- The Portal was initiated by the Office of the Principal Scientific Adviser (PSA) to the GoI as an important national program to build a unique ‘One Nation One Research Web Portal’ for scientific community.
- I-STEM will hold the database of all the R&D facilities established in institutions around the country, and enable their sharing in a transparent manner.
- The IP protected Portal has been built and managed by, Nanoscience Centre of Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru.
- All academic institutions, national research labs, and aided/affiliated institutions with R&D facilities funded by agencies of the GoI, will be required to list them on the I-STEM Portal.
- It is designed to be the gateway for users/researchers to locate the specific type of facility they need for their R&D work and to identify the one that is either located closest to them or available the soonest.
- I-STEM is expected to greatly enhance utilization of R&D equipment nationwide, thereby reducing duplication and saving precious public funds.
- It is also expected to enhance collaboration among academics, and between industry and the academia.
[Source: PIB, Down To Earth]